Hanmer = massage + forest walks + beautiful light + hot springs + wineries
Just lovely, actually.
The thing about Hanmer Springs is it is always just a fantastic experience – the freshest air on tap, the jet boat whizzing down the river (I’ve been on it, and believe me ‘whizz’ is the word), the feel and look of a mountain village and a winery on the way or way home. I must have been there more than a dozen times now and I can’t think of a time when it wasn’t lovely. I always feel like I can cope with anything after I’ve been there, and do anything really.
The 90 minute drive from home through the Waipara Valley treats me to rows and rows of vines that belong to wineries such as Waipara Hills, Pegasus Bay and a bit further on past the Hanmer turn off, there’s the smaller Waipara Springs. with its pretty garden and wonderful wine dogs.
The Spa at Hanmer Springs does a lot of things right:
- The smiling welcome at the front desk
- The heated beds in the treatment rooms
- The quiet treatment room and the fact that therapist doesn’t try and chat to you while they’re massaging you – not keen on chatting while I’m being massaged!
- The therapist waits for you outside the room after your treatment with a glass of water, a goodbye and thank you
- The hot pools are just next door so you can relax in 32 to 42 degree water before or after your treatment at the spa. Delish.
Marble Point Winery is one of those places where you feel that the owners are putting their heart and soul into their business. They sell their own chardonnay, sauvingon blanc, riesling, pinot noir and the other things they sell like honey, infused olive oil and organic goats’ milk soaps make the whole experience just so wholesome somehow, in a luxurious kind of way.